Thanks for visiting my Blog! Please tell me where you are from

I am curious to learn where the people who are reading my blog are from in the World. I don't know any way to find out except to ask, so I am. I have a Visitor's Poll on the left side. Please take a second to select the best answer. If I don't have your Country listed it is not intended as a Slight. I quickly realized I could not list every country, so I have continents listed. Feel free to drop me a comment or email as to which Country you reside in if it isn't in the list IN ADDITION to selecting the best answer in the poll. Thanks
SEARCH NOW:
by title by author

A Journey into forgetfulness

A Journey into forgetfulness

Have you ever had an experience where you knew …

The name of the person, it was on the tip of your tongue as they say, but ….it just eludes you, just stays slightly beyond your grasp.

Or you just had those car keys, sun glasses, …. but now what did you do with them? Where did you put them?

Now imagine …. that is your life. 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 52 weeks a year, that is your life.

You just can’t quite recall. It is something you should know but. …. It eludes you.

And day by day, week by week the things that slip just into the shadows of your mind where you can sort of glimpse them but can’t quite make out what they are grow and grow and slip further and farther away.

Alzheimer’s

This is what this blog is about. A Journey into forgetfulness. With this blog I will discuss our own experiences with Alzheimer's disease in the hopes it will help others with family or friends with this illness

Saturday, September 1, 2007

Don't turn your back ....

My father went AWOL last night.

In the past he has talked about leaving the house and going to look for "someone". Last night he actually did.

We live about 150 Yds from his parents' former home. Both his parents (my grandparents) are deceased. The home is now owned by my Uncle and rented. I have no idea who is living there now, if anyone. Just across the street is a closed Country store that my cousins use to have open. Next door is my 90 something year old cousin-in-law whose husband use to own and run the store.

I left the room last night about 8:10 pm for just a minute and when I returned he was nowhere in sight. Initially I thought he had gone to the restroom in his bedroom. When he didn't return in a few minutes I went to check on him and he wasn't there. The front door was shut, it was dark outside but he had in fact left.

Since he had talked about visiting the store earlier that is where I went looking. And found him sitting in my elderly cousin's house.

So if you have an advanced Alzheimer's victim in your care, your home this is what you can expect at some time. They will try to roam. A friend had a mother with Alzheimer's and she has told me what her mother did. How she would wait for her chance and bolt out at any opportunity. They do not recognize they are at home. In their minds, there is some other place they are suppose to be and they will go searching. This was the first for my father and as a result we have activated an security alarm on the door. Now if he opens the door, chimes or alarms will sound (depending on our setting).

No comments: