Thanks for visiting my Blog! Please tell me where you are from

I am curious to learn where the people who are reading my blog are from in the World. I don't know any way to find out except to ask, so I am. I have a Visitor's Poll on the left side. Please take a second to select the best answer. If I don't have your Country listed it is not intended as a Slight. I quickly realized I could not list every country, so I have continents listed. Feel free to drop me a comment or email as to which Country you reside in if it isn't in the list IN ADDITION to selecting the best answer in the poll. Thanks
SEARCH NOW:
by title by author

A Journey into forgetfulness

A Journey into forgetfulness

Have you ever had an experience where you knew …

The name of the person, it was on the tip of your tongue as they say, but ….it just eludes you, just stays slightly beyond your grasp.

Or you just had those car keys, sun glasses, …. but now what did you do with them? Where did you put them?

Now imagine …. that is your life. 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 52 weeks a year, that is your life.

You just can’t quite recall. It is something you should know but. …. It eludes you.

And day by day, week by week the things that slip just into the shadows of your mind where you can sort of glimpse them but can’t quite make out what they are grow and grow and slip further and farther away.

Alzheimer’s

This is what this blog is about. A Journey into forgetfulness. With this blog I will discuss our own experiences with Alzheimer's disease in the hopes it will help others with family or friends with this illness

Friday, August 10, 2007

Blind in a foreign land

Have you ever wondered what it is like to be an alzheimer's victim?

Someone who is in the later stages of the disease?

Someone who can no longer do the everyday tasks that the rest of us take for granted.

who can no longer read a book and enjoy it

who can not work a puzzle of any kind

who can't play a game of any kind

who can not even do housework because they don't remember what to do, what anything is, where things are suppose to belong, how anything works, or how to do anything - even simple things like making toast.

Television? Can't remember what has happened or follow what is going on so watching it is nothing but confusion. What is going on? Who are they talking to? What are they wanting me to do?

It is like being in a foreign place where everyone talks a language you do not understand. Have you ever been in such a situation? I have. But I was lucky. I could see and be entertained just by watching what was happening around me. And I could learn. Slowly but I could learn. Bohm gee-ah meant "hello". brigado or brigada meant "thank you". Men said one and women said another.

But how would I have felt if I couldn't understand anything, and I couldn't see what was happening? Can you imagine that situation? And to make matters worse, no matter how hard you try, you just can't remember well enough to learn any of the language? How would that feel?

That is how I envision it to be for those with alzheimer's. How are they suppose to fill the 24 hours in a day? Not understanding. Not remembering. Unable to do. I can just sense the frustration. Nothing to do. Wanting to do something, anything, but it has no meaning. Can't remember how to do it or remember that I did it. An endless cycle of nothingness. Just being.

Not understanding anyone, and nobody understanding me. Blind in a foreign land.

No comments: