Thanks for visiting my Blog! Please tell me where you are from

I am curious to learn where the people who are reading my blog are from in the World. I don't know any way to find out except to ask, so I am. I have a Visitor's Poll on the left side. Please take a second to select the best answer. If I don't have your Country listed it is not intended as a Slight. I quickly realized I could not list every country, so I have continents listed. Feel free to drop me a comment or email as to which Country you reside in if it isn't in the list IN ADDITION to selecting the best answer in the poll. Thanks
SEARCH NOW:
by title by author

A Journey into forgetfulness

A Journey into forgetfulness

Have you ever had an experience where you knew …

The name of the person, it was on the tip of your tongue as they say, but ….it just eludes you, just stays slightly beyond your grasp.

Or you just had those car keys, sun glasses, …. but now what did you do with them? Where did you put them?

Now imagine …. that is your life. 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 52 weeks a year, that is your life.

You just can’t quite recall. It is something you should know but. …. It eludes you.

And day by day, week by week the things that slip just into the shadows of your mind where you can sort of glimpse them but can’t quite make out what they are grow and grow and slip further and farther away.

Alzheimer’s

This is what this blog is about. A Journey into forgetfulness. With this blog I will discuss our own experiences with Alzheimer's disease in the hopes it will help others with family or friends with this illness

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Fire!

One of the problems my father has now is going to sleep. This is especially true on the nights my mother works (she works some nights). As soon as she leaves for work, he begins to say it is time for bed. For some reason once she is no longer here, it is bed time. Normally I try to keep him up until about 10 pm hoping that he will sleep thru the night once he finally goes to sleep. That is the crux. He won't stay in bed and go to sleep.

Although he will continually try to go to bed for hours, once you tell him - "OK, go to bed" he will begin to worry about everything, and he won't go to sleep. Every few minutes he will be out of bed and asking:

Who is going to wake me up in the morning?

When am I leaving here?

Who is going to come get me?

What am I going to do for breakfast?

I don't have any money, how am I going to pay to stay here? or to eat here? (He doesn't think this is his home).

Where is my wife?

She is coming here? Will I get to see her? Will I be able to talk to her?

What if the people who live here show up?

Am I allowed to sleep in this bed (his own)? I don't have any money to pay for it.

What about all of those people (points to television). Are they staying here also?

I hate to bother you but there is a fire in here.

This last one bothered me a great deal the first time he came and told me. I went to investigate and the fire was the light on in the bathroom so he could see if he needed to go in the middle of the night. Now I know anything that has a light that shines in the dark - computer tower, night lights, VCR light, clock, power strip, anything at all, may be the source of the "Fire" in his mind.

You must still take it seriously. You never know when there may actually be a fire. And unlike the Story about the boy who cried wolf, you can not ever assume it is NOT a fire. So check it out and try to reassure them all is ok. You may even have to turn off (or power down) appliances as inconvenient as that may be so their little led lights don't shine.

So be prepared for questions, be prepared for long nights with little sleep, be prepared for that insecurity to arise. They don't remember so it is frightening to them. Not knowing. Never knowing. always in the dark

No comments: